Thursday, August 30, 2018

What A Gift I Received

Thursday, August 30, 2018

This summer, I had the honor of sharing loads of time with two of my 11 year old grandchildren - Kelly and Clayton.  I've always known they were great kids, but just hanging out together - no pressure - all kinds of spur of the moment conversations - sharing meals, laughs and even some sad moments = an amazingly loving gift.

I found out just how bright and articulate they really are.  When they don't understand something, they're not afraid to ask for enough information to get their heads around a subject.  Do you know that there are so many 'old sayings' that we use without thinking about it that the 'younger generation' has no conception of?  

As an example - we're watching a commercial and the expression "first generation" came up regarding going to college.  Quick explanation and you could see the lights in their eyes of understanding.

They accompanied me doing my errands - they understand my 'hug squad' at the grocery store (and even joined in).  There's not one thing that they were asked to do that they didn't do willingly and with a smile.

Please and thank you never needed to be pulled out of them - they had tact and manners well beyond their years.  

Of course I love all my grandkids - I'm so blessed - but these past few months have been a true gift to me because of the love they've shared with me.  

Now, I will admit that Kelly is now starting to tower over me - yes, she's at least 4 inches taller than me already, but I knew this day would come.  When Clayton starts his growth spurt, watch out world!

All four of my step-kids have their own parental style and I try not to meddle.  Whatever works for them, works for me.  I have no magic potion, especially since I had to learn 'on the run' when Jeff and I got together oh, so many years ago!

School is about to start, so daily routines will be changing, but I'll never forget the joy of this summer and hope they will have fond memories as well.

Life is Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment